smuts ukrainian church saskatchewan

St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church in Smuts, Saskatchewan

​The first church was built in 1905 and destroyed by a fire in 1925.  It is the second church (current building) of the parish built in 1926 on this same spot but was relocated to its current spot in 1954 for practical reasons. The foundations of the original church can still be found beside the cemetery. The church has one large open dome and two smaller domes at the front. It has a bellry near the church as well as a commemorating the Holy Mission of the parish. The parish hall located beside the church was built in 1934 and was originally the rectory on the original site. It was relocated to the current site at the same time as the church was moved. The church features seating for about 170 people in wooden pews, has electricity and central oil heating. It was built through mainly volunteer labour. A choir loft can also be seen in the interior. ​This building is active and locked. It has an active congregation, holds regular services and is watched closely by the community.

Photos are from multiple trips in 2007-2012 (The church was originally a yellow colour and was repainted to white.)

Leave a Comment

error: Content is protected !!